Pharmacy Assurance coordinates a standardised single
technical pharmacy review for eligible studies across the UK. The completed review can be used by all
participating NHS/HSC sites across the UK to support local capacity and capability assessments and study set up in their pharmacy departments.
What are the benefits of Pharmacy Assurance?
- fewer duplicated queries from multiple sites
- guidance on the information requirements for the pharmacy review included in the Local Information Pack (LIP) wherever possible, which can lead to sites agreeing to participate sooner and help to streamline site set up.
Please note that inclusion in the LIP is only possible if an application to Pharmacy Assurance is submitted by or on the day of e-submission.
For Pharmacy Departments/Participating Sites
- an assured level of detail thanks to comprehensive and standardised information in the pharmacy review form
- information at the right time to support capacity and capability assessments
- reduction in the number of queries during capacity and capability assessments and during study set up
Feedback on the Process
"...impressed with the timelines in which this study was reviewed."
"Allows the information to be efficiently shared with the sites... making the set up process quicker"
"... the form was really helpful, it enabled us to quickly assess capacity and capability as it had really detailed information that we may not otherwise have received. It was also useful to refer back to when setting the study up"
Can I submit for Pharmacy Assurance?
Pharmacy Assurance is currently going through a phased roll-out, but we expect that all eligible studies will be submitted.
Pharmacy Assurance will be a component of HRA and HCRW Approval once the roll-out is completed.
Detailed submission guidance is available on the IRAS website, but our Applying for Pharmacy Assurance page provides an overview for those going through the process and clarifies which studies are currently eligible to be submitted.
Performance metrics for Pharmacy Assurance
We regularly publish updates on our performance in relation to Pharmacy Assurance. The below is the latest performance data for October to December 2019.
Studies are currently progressing through Pharmacy Assurance in 10 calendar days. This time is measured from the point of submission by the study sponsor, to completed review and issuing of Pharmacy Assurance. This data is excluding queries.
We value all feedback, if you would like to tell us about your experience of using Pharmacy Assurance please contact us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.