The Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) is a single system for applying for the permissions and approvals for health, social and community care research in the UK.
Research applicants are able to submit research applications to the HRA through IRAS including those for HRA Approval, applications for Research Ethics Committee (REC) review, as well as applications for the Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG).
IRAS enables applicants to enter the information about their project once instead of duplicating information in separate application forms and uses filters to ensure that the data collected and collated is appropriate to the type of study and the permissions and approvals required.
Researchers are also able to find useful guidance relating to all approvals UK-wide within the ‘Help’ section on IRAS.
IRAS captures the information needed for the relevant approvals from the following review bodies:
- Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC)
- Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG)
- Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (GTAC)
- Health Research Authority (HRA) for projects seeking HRA Approval
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
- NHS / HSC R&D offices
- NHS / HSC Research Ethics Committees
- Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service
- Social Care Research Ethics Committee
BGO Media Ltd
Following an Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) tender exercise in December 2015, it is confirmed that the HRA will continue to work in partnership with BGO Media for the delivery of software developments for IRAS.