This diagram shows the new future journey for ethics review proposed in our consultation.
The proposed future journey would involve the following steps:
- an applicant would complete the Think Ethics review tool
- if their application meets certain criteria it would be forwarded for staff validation and a decision issued.
- if their application does not meet certain criteria it would be referred to expert staff review or to a Research Ethics Committee.
- if the application meets the requirements for staff review, it would be reviewed by an expert staff member using guidance/precedence.
- if there were no issues outside of guidance/precedence, then a decision would be issued.
- if there are issues outside of guidance/precedence, then the expert staff member would refer to a panel to consider the application.
- if the panel agree they can make a decision, they will issue a decision.
- if the panel cannot agree they will refer the application to a Research Ethics Committee.
- a Research Ethics Committee will review the application and issue a decision to the applicant.