The HRA's Audit and Risk Committee is looking for an additional independent member to join the committee.
The Health Research Authority (HRA) is a non-departmental public body with the remit to protect and promote the interests of patients and the public in health and social care research. We do this by supporting and promoting a robust and efficient regulatory and governance framework in the UK. Our ambition is to make the UK a great place to do research, where more money invested in research goes into carrying out relevant, good quality research.
The HRA has an Audit and Risk Committee which provides the HRA with an independent and objective review of its financial systems, financial information, risk management and governance arrangements and compliance with laws, guidance, and regulations governing the NHS.
The HRA's Audit and Risk Committee is looking for an additional independent member to join the committee. We are looking for an individual with a formal financial qualification who has experience of working in the health and/or research sector e.g. for an arm’s length body or for the NHS. Experience of working on an Audit and Risk Committee would be beneficial.
The committee meets five times a year, normally face-to-face, from the HRA's London office however meetings are currently being held virtually. The role would be for a two year term with the opportunity to extend this a further two terms. A rate of up to £200 per day would be payable along with payment of reasonable expenses. It is anticipated the role, in reading papers and attending meetings, would equate to seven to eight days a year.
The successful individual will support the Audit and Risk Committee in:
- reviewing the establishment and maintenance of an effective system of integrated governance, risk management and internal control, across the whole of the organisation’s activities that supports the achievement of the organisation’s objectives
- ensuring that there is an effective internal audit function that meets mandatory Internal Audit Standards and provides appropriate independent assurance to the Committee, Chief Executive and HRA Board
- reviewing the work and findings of the External Auditor and consider the implications and management’s responses to their work.
- ensuring the HRA has an effective risk management strategy and that a review of the main risks managed by the Executive is undertaken annually to support the governance assurance statement and the annual report
- reviewing the findings of other significant assurance functions, both internal and external to the organisation and including the HRA assurance map, and consider the implications to the governance of the organisation
- reviewing anti-fraud policies, whistle-blowing processes and arrangements for special investigations;
If you would like to apply, please send your cv and covering letter, detailing your experience and relevant qualifications, to email@example.com. Closing date is 5pm Friday 18 June. Interview will take place virtually on Tuesday 6 July.