Thinking about taking part or getting involved in research?

What does taking part or participation in research mean?

Participation in research is where someone takes part in a research study, for example, being asked questions about their health condition or testing a new treatment in a clinical trial. People may be asked to consider joining a study by their GP or come across an advertisement to join a trial on a noticeboard or in a newspaper.

The NHS has written some very clear information about taking part in clinical trials and issues to consider before taking part in health research. This information is available here.

Where can I find out about clinical trials and research taking place?

If you want to find out about research that you can take part in it is OK to ask your doctor and there are some websites like Join Dementia Research that let you register to hear about opportunities.

What is public involvement in research?

Public involvement in research is where research is undertaken ‘with’ or ‘by’ patients and the public rather than ‘to’ ‘for’ or ‘about’ them. Public involvement is not about taking part in research as a research participant or as a research subject.

Anne-Laure Donskoy, a HRA public contributor has written some information about public involvement and the different ways you can get involved in health and social care research.

Download this information [PDF] here: Public involvement in health and social care research