IRAS four years on – celebrating and building on success
Published on 12 June 2012
The HRA has launched plans on 12 June 2012 for a comprehensive schedule of work. This will include providing IRAS as the platform for the unified approval process to support the efficient set-up of health research.
It will provide a coordinated route for obtaining approvals, rather than making, individual approvals itself. In this way, the HRA will support proportionate review, within a wider context of effective and efficient oversight, to protect and promote the interests of patients and the public in health research.
The HRA will:
- Provide a single route through IRAS for all approvals and permissions
- Provide clear signposting through the process, with easy access to advice and support
- Embed principles and standards of review bodies to ensure tasks are worthwhile, relevant and proportionate
- Coordinate the activities of review bodies to remove unnecessary duplication
- Assign tasks to the relevant organisation at the appropriate time and support the exchange of assurances across the system
- Maintain a UK-wide overall approach that recognises and incorporates individual requirements of the IRAS partners